Friends and family have shared their relationship to show their support.
How do you know Vera Johnson-Young?
We are sorry for your loss.
Help others honor Vera's memory.
Coping with Grief
We would like to offer our sincere support to anyone coping with grief. Enter
your email below for our complimentary daily grief messages. Messages run for up to one year and you
can stop at any time. Your email will not be used for any other purpose.
January 28, 1939 ~ September 16, 2023 (age 84) 84 Years Old
7 Trees, Flowers, or Condolences have been shared with support of Vera's family - View on Tribute Wall
Vera Johnson-Young, age 84, passed away Saturday, September 16, 2023 at the Leader & District Integrated Healthcare Facility, Leader, SK after battling cancer.
Vera was born on January 28,1939 in Jedburgh, SK to Cecil & Edith Hedges (nee Herbert), who were both born in England before they made Saskatchewan home. Vera grew up on a homestead in Beaverbrook, SK and throughout her life lived across the province in Melville, Stoughton, Biggar, and Weyburn, and in Victoria, BC before moving to Swift Current, SK in 1973, where she lived until her passing. Vera worked at the Swift Current Pioneer Lodge for 27 years before retiring in 1999.
Vera was first married to William Anderson Young on September 14, 1957, they would later divorce. She met the love of her life, Gerald “Ted” Robert Johnson, and were married on June 24, 1982. Sadly, they only had twelve years together, Ted passed away November 23,1994 in Swift Current.
Vera had a large extended family:
- Her son, Garth (Sue Turner) Young; granddaughters, Annett, Crystal, Candice (Josh), and Chiffon (Chrisopher); great-grandchildren, Courtney, Britney, Ethan, Kilynn, and Gabriel.
- Her son, Keith (Linda Holt) Young; grandchildren, Timothy John “TJ”, Desmond, Amber, and Brady; great-grandchildren, Gwen and Nico.
- Her daughter, Lynn (Pat) Wist; grandchildren, Sharla and Celia; great-grandson, Zander.
- Her son, Glen (Catherine Staszkiewcz) Young; grandchild, Joshua.
- Her son, Grant (Joyce) Young; grandchildren, Marie and Brett; great-granddaughters, Kaili and Vaida.
- Her son, Darren Young, grandson Lancelot
- Her son, David (Deanna) Young; grandchildren, Tristan and Jacob.
Vera also expanded her family when she married Ted:
- His son, Tim (Shannon) Johnson; grandchildren, Brittany, Savanna, and Ryker; great-grandchildren, Clover, Beau, and Bostynn.
- His daughter, Tammy Sutton; grandchildren, Tyler, Corry, and Dallas; great-grandchildren, Jack, Miles, and Sienna.
- His daughter, Shelby Johnson; grandchildren, Cody and Riley.
Vera had fond memories of spending time with the family and spending summers down at the Saskatchewan Landing, going camping and boating. She especially loved to fish while she was camping at the river. She had many adventures and loved trekking across western Canada and the northern states, especially Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, pulling the fifth wheel with Ted. She was a season ticket holder with the Swift Current Broncos, where she loved to watch her favourites, Joe Sakic and Adam Lowry, play.
Vera will be missed by all that knew her.
Vera is survived by her children, Lynn (Pat) Wist (Medicine Hat, AB), Garth (Sue Turner) Young (Edmonton AB), Glen (Catherine) Young (Sedgewick AB), Darren Young (Gatineau, QC), and David (Deanna) Young (Victoria B.C.); her grandchildren; her great-grandchildren; her stepchildren, Tim (Shannon) Johnson (Swift Current, SK) and Tammy Sutton (Edmonton, AB); and by her step-grandchildren and step-great-grandchildren.
Vera was predeceased by her sons, Keith Young (Moose Jaw, SK) and Grant Young (Regina, SK); and by stepdaughter, Shelby Johnson (Swift Current, SK).
A Private Family Service for Vera Johnson-Young will take place at a later date.
In memory of Vera Johnson-Young, donations made to the Canadian Cancer Society would be appreciated by the family.